European Health Insurance Card
What is the European Health Insurance Card?
A free card that gives you access to medically necessary, state-provided healthcare during a temporary stay in any of the 28 EU countries, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland, under the same conditions and at the same cost (free in some countries) as people insured in that country.
Important – the European Health Insurance Card:
- is not an alternative to travel insurance. It does not cover any private healthcare or costs such as a return flight to your home country or lost/stolen property,
- does not cover your costs if you are travelling for the express purpose of obtaining medical treatment,
- does not guarantee free services. As each countrys healthcare system is different services that cost nothing at home might not be free in another country.
Please note: when you move your habitual residence to another country, you should register with the S1 form instead of using the EHIC to receive medical care in your new country of habitual residence.
Download the app for your smartphone
Guide on how to use the European Health Insurance Card in the 28 EU countries, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland. It includes general information about the card, emergency phone numbers, covered treatments and costs, how to claim reimbursement and who to contact in case you have lost your card, as well as a card expiry reminder function. All this information is also available while your smartphone is offline. The app is available in 25 languages with easy option to switch from one language to another.
- Due to technical, legal and privacy reasons, the app does NOT replace the card. The card cannot be generated or downloaded for use.
- The EHIC does NOT replace travel insurance.
- The European Commission is NOT responsible for issuing EHIC cards, which are issued for free by your national health insurance provider.
- When using the application for the first time some data needs to be downloaded (approx. 25MB). You will be charged for this according to your internet connection. We recommend that you download all data before travelling abroad.